The Practical nurse is an integral practitioner on the health care team who renders nursing within a legally defined role. Practical nurse education prepares persons for gainful employment regardless of age, sex, religion, color, race, national origin, or handicap. The education of practical nurses is provided with planned learning experience in a logical sequence.
The practical nursing curriculum includes both theory and supervised clinical experience which will enable students to obtain the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to function within the scope of practical nursing.
Upon successful completion of this program, a diploma will be issued, and a graduate will be prepared to successfully pass the Nation Council Licensure Examination for practical nursing. Licensure of practical nurses is regulated by the Tennessee Board of Nursing. Conviction of a misdemeanor or felony offense may be grounds for refusal by the Board to issue a license.
|Time Commitment||Full Time|
|Typical Program Length||12 Months|
Special Enrollment Requirements
- Schedule and pay the $50 non-refundable fee for the HESI A2 entrance exam. Call (423) 834-7954.
- After successfully passing the HESI A2 exam, applicants are responsible for meeting with the practical nursing administrative assistant to obtain the official nursing application packet. Completed packet/required documents must be returned to the nursing administrative assistant who can be reached at (423) 417-1983 and is located in building D on the main campus at 821 West Louise Ave, Morristown, TN 37813.The following is a list of required documents that the applicant is responsible for submitting:
- Signed and dated Practical Nursing Student Application Form
- Copy of official high school transcript, GED, or HiSet
- Copy of HESI A2 passing score of 70 in both math and reading. (Exemption: Applicants 20 years of age or less with an ACT score of 19 or above in each section may submit an official copy of results.)
- Signed and dated physical job requirements form
- Proof of Immunizations (TB Skin Test, Tetanus, MMR (2), Varicella (2 or documentation of previous chicken pox diagnosis), and Hepatitis B)
- Once the nursing application packet/required documents have been returned, applicants must also complete the online application for enrollment to TCAT Morristown on the college website www.tcatmorristown.edu.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply for financial aid by completing the FAFSA at www.studentaid.gov. TCAT Morristown School Code: 013891.
- Additional information such as program cost, steps to apply, and HESI A2 information can be found on the pages linked below.
The application steps for this program are strict.The first step is to register and take the HESI entrance exam. Failure to pass the exam or complete any application step may result in disqualification. Completion of application steps does not guarantee acceptance into the practical nursing program for term and/or site requested. New students enroll every term as space is available.
January Term - Newport location only
May Term - Morristown and Tazewell locations only
September Term - Morristown and Greeneville locations only
1325 Claiborne Street
Tazewell, TN 37879
821 West Louise Ave
Morristown, TN 37813-2094
216 Hedrick Drive
Newport, TN 37821
1420 Tusculum Blvd
Greeneville, TN 37743