The Practical nurse is an integral practitioner on the health care team who renders nursing within a legally defined role. Practical nurse education prepares persons for gainful employment regardless of age, sex, religion, color, race, national origin, or handicap. The education of practical nurses is provided with planned learning experience in a logical sequence.
The practical nursing curriculum includes both theory and supervised clinical experience which will enable students to obtain the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to function within the scope of practical nursing.
Upon successful completion of this program, a diploma will be issued, and a graduate will be prepared to successfully pass the Nation Council Licensure Examination for practical nursing. Licensure of practical nurses is regulated by the Tennessee Board of Nursing. Conviction of a misdemeanor or felony offense may be grounds for refusal by the Board to issue a license.
|Time Commitment||Full Time|
|Typical Program Length||12 Months|
Special Enrollment Requirements
- Complete TCAT online application (Apply Here)
- Call (423) 834-7954 to schedule and pay for HESI entrance exam (payment of $50 required when exam is scheduled). Applicants 20 years old and under may submit official ACT scores with a minimum score of 19 in each area; otherwise, the applicant must register and take the HESI entrance exam.
- After obtaining a passing entrance exam score, applicants must meet with the PN Administrative Assistant in order to obtain a nursing application and a nursing admissions packet (office location is in building D, first door on the left at the northeast entrance - double doors near the nursing department).
- Submit completed required paperwork to PN Administrative Assistant.
- Nursing Application
- Copy of official high school transcript or GED
- Copy of official ACT scores (only applies to applicants 20 years old or under who scored a minimum of 19 on all required areas).
- Nursing Packet Paperwork
- Completed physical job requirement form.
- Certificate of immunizations (Tb skin test, tetanus, MMRs (2), Varicella (2), and Hepatitis B.
- Completed three (3) work reference forms.
- Completed statement of desire to be a nurse.
- Nursing Application
October 16 — to start in January (Newport site only)
February 20 — to start in May (Morristown and Tazewell only)
July 14 — to start in September (Morristown and Greeneville only)
Application deadline dates are subject to change depending on the number of applications received by the deadline date.
1325 Claiborne Street
Tazewell, TN 37879
821 West Louise Ave
Morristown, TN 37813-2094
Ben W. Hooper Career & Technical Education Center
216 Hedrick Drive
Newport, TN 37821
Laughlin Memorial Hospital
1420 Tusculum Blvd
Greeneville, TN 37743
Care for ill, injured, or convalescing patients or persons with disabilities in hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, private homes, group homes, and similar institutions. May work under the supervision of a registered nurse. Licensing required.
Bright Outlook: Yes
Currently employed in the area: 25,620
Current job openings per year: 2,520